Act 114 of 2006, Section 111 of the Pennsylvania Public School Code outlines background check requirements for student teachers and the employees of public and private schools and their contractors.The Act requires that:all student teachers (participating in classroom teaching, internships, clinical or field experience) and prospective employees (including, but not limited to: administrators, teachers, substitutes, janitors, and office employees) of public and private schools, Intermediate Units and area vocational-technical schools, including independent contractors and their employees and bus drivers who have direct contact with children must provide to their employer a copy of their Federal Criminal History Record that cannot be more than one (1) year old.Click here to visit the PA Department of Education website for more information about Act 114 FBI Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) Background Checks.
How to Obtain a Criminal History Background ClearanceApplicants MUST pre-enroll prior to going to a fingerprinting site. Pre-enrollment can be completed either on the phone or online.(NOTE: Walk-ins are welcome at the WIU between the hours of 7:30 AM and 3:00 PM Monday through Friday. The Service Code for Pennsylvania PDE-Intermediate Units is 1KG6S7. The location code for the WIU is SP-EQUITYDR.)
1. The website to pre-enroll is www.identogo.com and is available 24 hours a day, seven days per week.
2. Telephone pre-enrollment is available at 1-844-321-2101 Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm EST.
3. Applicants will receive a confirmation number upon successful pre-enrollment.
4. Applicants must bring to the fingerprinting center a photo ID (Driver's License or Passport Card) for identification purposes.
5. Payment will be made at the fingerprinting center at the time of fingerprinting.
6. The fee for the FBI clearance is $23.85 and can be paid with a credit card/debit card, money order, business check or cashiers' check. If you are paying by credit card/debit card, and the card is not in your name, the credit card/debit card holder must accompany you. Money orders, business checks, or cashiers' checks must be made payable to “MorphoTrust USA”. If you are paying with a money order, you must sign the money order. No cash or personal checks will be accepted.
How to Obtain a Child Abuse History Clearance
Please read the instructions prior to downloading the form.
Clearance results will be mailed to you within 14 days from the date that the clearance is received by the state. There will be no replacements after 90 days. Failure to comply with the above instructions will cause considerable delay.
- Type or print clearly and neatly in ink Section I only.
- Address must be Applicant's current home address.
- All information must be completed in full. (The form asks for all previous names, addresses, and household members since 1975). This information must be provided to the best of your knowledge and belief. If necessary, attach additional pages.
- Application must be signed.
- Enclose a $13.00 money order for each application. No cash or personal checks accepted. Agency or business checks are acceptable (Mailing address is on the actual form in the top left text box).
- Do not send any postage paid return envelopes.
- Application should be placed in a business-sized or larger envelope prior to mailing.
- One block must be checked for Purpose for Clearance. Do not check more than one block.
- Check the School Block if you are a prospective student teacher or prospective employee or contractor of a public or private school (School District, IU, Charter School, Career & Technology Center, Private Academic School, Non-Public School).
- Check the Child Care Block if planning to work in a day care setting or if all other blocks do not apply.
Additional information on application processing can be located at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/homeClick here to visit the PA Department of Education website for additional information about Act 151 (Child Abuse) Background Checks.How to Obtain a Criminal History Record
There are two methods of requesting a Criminal Record:1. Online Request
The Pennsylvania State Police has also established a web-based computer application called “Pennsylvania Access To Criminal History,” (PATCH) Using this system, a requestor can apply for a criminal background check on an individual. Eighty-five percent of the time, “No Record” certificates are returned immediately through the Internet to the requestor.
Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History (PATCH) Web Site
2. Submitting a Request Form
Criminal History Request Form - SP4-164
This response is based on a comparison of data provided by the requester in Part I of the form against the information contained in the files of the Pennsylvania State Police Central Repository only, and does not preclude the existence of criminal records which might be contained in the repositories of other local, state, or federal criminal justice agencies.
Download the Criminal History Request Form - SP4-164 (Updated 12-2017)
One Copy is to be submitted with a money order or certified check for the amount of $22.00 payable to Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. After completion mail to:
Pennsylvania State Police Central Repository - 164
1800 Elmerton Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17110-9758Click here to visit the PA Department of Education website for additional information about Act 34 Background Checks.