Generating Revenue & AwarenessTo support the mission of the WIU Foundation, financial support is derived primarily through grants and gifts from area foundations and businesses; individual donations from WIU staff and the community; and a variety of fundraising events.A volunteer Awareness/Fundraising Committee oversees the fundraising activities, usually consisting of three primary events each year. Past events have included activities such as a Vera Bradley/Longaberger Bingo, Steeler and Penguin Tailgate Parties, Fashion Show, breakfast with Santa or the Easter Bunny, collaborations with Stage Right! Productions and local businesses such as Pizza Hut and Fantastic Sam's, and a number of other miscellaneous fundraising activities.Fundraisers for 2015-2016
Fundraisers for 2014-15
- Penguin's Tailgate Party - Penguins vs. Devils on Big Screens, Saturday, November 14th at Bar Rizzi, (Rizzo's Malabar Inn), Crabtree. Doors open at 6:00 pm; Game Time 7:00 pm. Fundraiser Info.
- Bingo - Sunday, April 17th. Bar Rizzi (Rizzo's Malabar Inn), Crabtree. Doors open at 12:30 and bingo games begin at 1:30.
- Golf Outing Saturday June 4th
Past FundraisersTwo new fundraisers were held during the 2013-14 fiscal year:
- Steeler's Tailgate Party - Steelers vs. Cleveland on Big Screens, Sunday, October 12th at Bar Rizzi (Rizzo's Malabar Inn), Crabtree. Doors open 12:00 pm; Game Time 1:00 pm.
- Vera Bradley/Longaberger Bingo - Sunday, April 12th. NEW LOCATION this year! Bar Rizzi (Rizzo's Malabar Inn), Crabtree. Doors open at 12:30 and bingo games begin at 1:30.
- Penguin's Tailgate Party - Penguins vs. Blues on Big Screens, Saturday, February 21st at Bar Rizzi, (Rizzo's Malabar Inn), Crabtree. Doors open at 7:00 pm; Game Time 8:00 pm. Click here for more info!
- In late November, a "Pittsburgh Steelers Tailgate Party" attracted 200 fun-loving Steelers fans to Bar Rizzi's (the banquet facility at Rizzo's Malabar Inn, Crabtree) to watch the game against the Cleveland Browns on the big screens. Patrons enjoyed "tailgate foods" like Asiago-filled hot and sweet peppers, chili, cornbread, hot & sweet sausage, mini-perogies, chicken wings, kielbassi and more. Of course, fans' favorite beverages were flowing and a variety of activities were held in conjunction.
- Based on the success of the initial tailgate party, a "Pittsburgh Penguins Tailgate Party" was held at Bar Rizzi's on February 1st and over 250 excited Pens' fans attended. The food and activities were similar to the initial event, although this time the party-goers also enjoyed some live music by a local bluegrass band. Both tailgate events are expected to be held again during the 2014-15 sports seasons.
- Additionally, our fourth annual "Vera Bradley/Longaberger Bingo" was held March 30 at St. Bruno Parish Hall in South Greensburg. Vera Bradley and Longaberger products served as bingo prizes for the winners. Basket auctions, raffles and other activities were held. Over 270 patrons enjoyed a light lunch and an awesome cookie table. Smiles were in abundance as the day's winners went home with prizes from 15 regular and five "quickie" bingo games, four raffled Vera Bradley/Longaberger "baskets" filled with prizes, a huge 50/50 award, and at least 100 small door prizes.
Sponsors SoughtThe volunteer Fundraising Committee welcomes local businesses, professionals or individuals to serve as primary sponsors to help underwrite the events. Also sought are those interested in advertising in event booklets.Since we are a 501(c)(3) organization, most gifts should be fully tax-deductible; however, we encourage our donors to check with their tax advisors.For more information about the events or being a supporter, contact the WIU Foundation at 724.836.2460, extension 2336 (Chris Constable).
Last Modified on September 8, 2015